Please join Equality Ohio for the 8th Annual Leadership Summit on Saturday, March 3, 2012 from 11am – 3pm. The event will take place at First Congregational Church UCC, located at 444 E. Broad St, Columbus, Ohio.
We look forward to hearing your thoughts and discussing the accomplishments and challenges faced in 2011, as well as strategies for moving forward in 2012. One member of each organization will be asked to give a 1-minute report on behalf of their organization.
One focus this year will be on efforts to achieve marriage equality in Ohio. Recent efforts striving for marriage equality will make this a hot issue for discussion and debate, and it makes this year’s summit more important and timely than ever.
Other discussions will focus on expanding the geographic and substantive scope of local LGBT-centric ordinances.
Ohio State University Law School Professor Marc Spindelman will deliver a keynote address, “More than Marriage”, at lunch, and Cincinnati City Councilman Chris Seelbach, Rick Incorvati (Springfield) and Leslye Huff (East Cleveland) will serve on the panel discussing local ordinances. Additionally we’ll be hearing presentations from Ian James, who will be talking about the Ohio Freedom to Marry effort and the constitutional amendment, and Tom Nobbe, Executive Director of the 2014 Gay Games in Cleveland/Akron who will be giving an update on the status of the Games.
Schedule of events for the day include:
- Group welcome and introduction
- Successes and challenges in 2011 and goals and challenges for 2012
- Lunch (catered by J. Gumbos, with both Vegetarian and Vegan option.)
- Panel discussions on marriage equality and local advances,
- followed by breakout sessions
- An update on federal, state and local races, including a discussion of federal races from Max Blachman and comments from political leaders and candidates on Marriage Equality and LGBT rights – including Summit County Commissioner Sandra Kurt, Franklin County Recorder candidate Terry Brown, Congressional candidate Mary Jo Kilroy and Congressional candidate Joyce Beatty.
We look forward to a productive dialogue and hope to see you there!
Please note that Columbus’ monthly Gallery Hop occurs on March 3rd as well. Come for the summit and stay for the hop!
First Congregational Church UCC
(Parking available in the church lots)
444 E. Broad St
Columbus, OH 43215