Back in January, fast-food chain Chick-Fil-A came under fire for its involvement in a seminar promoting traditional marriage and ties to anti-gay organizations. Chick-Fil-A president Dan Cathy eventually issued astatement saying, “We have no agenda against anyone.”
However, LGBT advocacy organization Equality Matters has unearthed tax documents showing that the company donated nearly $2 million to organizations with anti-gay track records.
Chick-Fil-A’s charitable organization, WinShape, donated over $1 million to anti-gay organizations between 2003 and 2008 and over $1.7 million to similar groups in 2009 alone.
Equality Matters found that in 2009, WinShape donated a total of $1,733,699 to multiple anti-gay groups:
- Marriage & Family Legacy Fund: $994,199
- Fellowship Of Christian Athletes: $480,000
- National Christian Foundation: $240,000
- Focus On The Family: $12,500
- Eagle Forum: $5,000
- Exodus International: $1,000
- Family Research Council: $1,000
[Winshape 2009 Publicly Available IRS 990 Form via Foundation Center, accessed 10/28/11]